Monday, September 1

Of the Luck of Lucien and the penmanship of young geniuses

What I would give for the good ol' days of TCQ, right? Damn fine tunes for groovin' and gettin' shit done. "Dial in & zone out", if ya please. Now begins the massive project of transferring a few *ahem* choice tracks from my library hoard of back-up discs onto the thirsty little HD here. Then, of course, will come the fine tuning of the whole thing. Put the polish on the baby for the up-and-coming geeks we're raising here. Fo sho.

Speaking of which, lest these three allow their more analog skills of penmanship, reading aloud, etc. to fall into disrepair as much as they've fallen out of style among their peers, the video games and movies are quarantined until further notice. We've been working on our letter craft this afternoon, snacking on spicy peanuts and sesame sticks with breaks for coloring and discussing story ideas. They're all intrigued by RPGs, but for the story element (thankfully) and not the "hack & slash" crap. The nightly reading hour begins at 7pm and bedtime's 8pm sharp again in order to gear the house up for school next week.

Personally, I was surprised at Darian's initial bucking against the idea of switching to a new school this year, but Holly knew he'd come around. Yes, my lady is whip-smart, this I know. Nowadays, he's poring over the class schedule and trying to pick which ones he's most interested in. Its a difficult one, and makes me more than envious of his year out there, gettin all genius on us, makin us proud. Just yesterday, he asked me if he'd be taking the MAX to school and what the plan was for after school each weekday. Heh, just when I forget what being twelve means, he finds clever ways to remind me; it won't be long before he's filling out those "young man" shoes, I can see.

Erin, on the other hand, has been go-go-GO! since the start and even got in for a half-day test run of the typical school day there at Trillium. Hell, when I a good friend of ours offered to take me on a behind-the-scenes tour of Coraline (Yes, Neil Gaiman's latest project) at Laika Studios, I asked if I could bring along our budding illustrator and blow her mind with the magic therein. This ten-year-old girl of ours has one helluva complex imagination, and fills her works -from doodles to full-on drawings- with little symbols, patterns, and hidden pictures to the point that I find myself doing double-takes as I pass the fridge after noticing something new in an old piece of hers. Really, even our friend at Laika commented on her comprehension of stop-motion techniques and the reasons behind them. When he asked how she knew these things, she replied, "No, I haven't done that before, but... it just makes sense that way.", with the matter-of-fact charm that only certain little girls can pull off.

Now, though I'm not sure how our youngest, Eric, is processing the fact that he'll not be returning to Astor this year, I do know that having his two older siblings on hand at the new school will be a life-saver when it comes to acclimating. He'll do great things out there, and from what I've seen of the campus and other students, he'll find it exceedingly simple to make friends left and right. Maybe its the elementary-school teacher in me, but I can't wait to see their intellects sparking and fizzing after a whole day of wacky fun experiments and individualized learning.

Who knows, I may have to sign up for some wacky fun myself, and volunteer with the in-house garden program ;)


No comments: